Saturday, 23 September 2017

Any ideas?

Hi guys

Firstly, thanks for all your lovely and encouraging messages on my last post. I really appreciated you taking the time to let me know your thoughts and wishes.

Just to clarify, the marble and wood effects were total acts of God - all more luck, than judgement! I haven't done either of them before so hopefully I'll remember what I did, for next time. Also, this is meant to be one wing of a country house, you have to imagine the rest of it connected on - good job we all have good imaginations.

I'm now at another mini crossroads. I had thought I was certain with the scheme for the smaller "gallery" style room to the right of the drawing room but now I'm not so sure! WHY WHY WHY!?!

My initial idea was to create an Italianate interior, with a heavy cornice with a dark wood finish and green Palm fabric walls from Susan Bembridge (a bit like the dining room at Alnwick Castle (Google the images for an idea)). Now, however, I am erring more towards a lighter room. Still with the same cornice (which is in the picture below) but in pale creams with a slightly dusty blue paint dragged down the walls.



Yes, I know it looks terrible but this is a "warts and all" type of post 😉

The door will be tidied up!

The above pictures show the room as it is now. The cornice is not finished of course, there needs to be a finer piece of dental cornice put around the inside to finish it off, and I need to put in corner brackets underneath to finish the angle off. I made this up from left over pieces I had constructed as the front edge of balconies in a theatre project I made (there will be pics in a previous post, or search under the Theatre label). I like the way they curve underneath and add interest at the top of the wall, also helping to visually lower the ceiling. The unsightly missing chunks are roughly where the hidden spot lights will go but I can't do these until I have the cornice to "hide" them in.

If I had to choose right now I would go with the blue and cream as I think it will compliment the drawing room colour and some paper I have for the hallway beyond in a pale peach - not to mention the fact that it's the current option in my head! I've added a picture here with a pot of the blue colour and then another with a sample of the fabric held in place, you'll have to imagine the cornice painted to match the doors.

You get some idea of how it will look next to the drawing room.


Please let me know what you think about the two options - I like them both and just don't know which to go for!

Thanks as always,

Si

12 comments:

  1. Your cornice already looks good, it will be beautiful when finished. To answer is quite a difficult one. both look great, however I like blue and the one you've chosen is great. Besides it's not too "strong" a colour to go with the other room. If you choose this option I hope you'll manage to use your beautiful green wallpaper somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha, I like your thinking - I think my mind is already made up ;-)
      I'm sure I'll find a use for the green fabric.
      Thanks very much
      x

      Delete
  2. Ooooh it's always a bit dangerous to state your own preference. Personally, I like the blue and if I am not mistaken that is that lovely Farrow & Ball paint. :-) We just have two F&B stores in the USA, neither of which is close to me. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good, I was hoping more people would like the blue too ;-)
      What a shame you dont have more near you, their tester pots (as in the pic) are perfect for mini things. Luckily most hardware stores sell the testers over here so I'm quite lucky on that count (sorry). Let's see what everyone else thinks...
      thanks, Catherine

      Delete
  3. I scooted up and down between the pics and my eye kept going back to the blue/varnish combination. It just seems (in my eyes) a nicer pairing.

    Meant to say in the last comment - good luck with the website, it looks very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Irene. I think I am leaning towards the blue as well to be honest. Thanks for the good wishes, I really appreciate it.
      Take care
      x

      Delete
  4. Personally, green is my favourite colour, however that colour blue looks lovely and has a classical feel about it. Whatever you chose, I know you will make it look fantastic. BTW, It's great to have you back and posting your current work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodie, a vote for the green! Thank you.
      Thanks too for your lovely comments as always, it means a lot.
      Si
      x

      Delete
  5. Use a program such as photoshop or even one of the apps put out by paint stores. Then use that to put the wall finishes onto your photos. That will give you the "vision" to see which you like best. Got to love apps for helping us to visualize what the finished project will look like :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, thanks, Karin. I'm am sooo out of the app world!! lol I need to check it out as it sounds like that will be a great help. I'll join the 21st century eventually ;-)
      Thanks again

      Delete
  6. Hi Si,
    The dining room at Alnwick is one of my favorite rooms...however I would go with the paler color scheme. I think the Darker one would lose some of its grandeur in a smaller space. Definitely keep the idea for another project, but I think the blue will look lovely and fit in with the other rooms better.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Giac
      I think you are right, my friend. The more I look at the green the more it just over-powers the room - better for something larger, as you say.
      Thanks for the advice
      Si

      Delete