Friday, 2 September 2016

Holiday Project

Hi Everyone

My apologies for a long absent spell, my time has been taken up with the garden and work. I am now on two weeks holiday and have set myself a mini task -  To make what I can from the abundant "stuff" I have kicking about.



It's surprising what you can find when you dig deep in drawers! I found tons of stuff - and I only had a clear out the other month!!

I found some key elements that I liked and began playing around with them in the hope that something would stick. I knew I wanted a shop with at least a living room above and at first I thought of doing two small shops (after getting obsessed with The Royal Arcade, London - I used to work around the corner from here years ago and walked through it every day, to and from work).


But this just didn't work. I don't want to spend any money on building materials, other than some nice thing for inside, but this way around looked all wrong. The proportions were out and the ceiling height of both the shops and rooms above would be very low. I then thought about turning the board around and making one tall shop, with a seperate entrance for the flat above.


This worked better and after much agonising and double checking I drew out the areas I needed to cut out and took the plunge...


In the picture above I am checking that windows etc will fit. I removed the panes from the arched shop window to give it a slightly more modern look. The whole time I was doing this, of course, I was planning how the facade would look. I want it to be an old looking building with some decay but modern touches such as security cameras and entry systems. I am fixated with  Google Street View and going up and down my old haunts of St. James' and Mayfair looking for inspiration. I want a pretty facade with lots of detail but an old appearance.

Next up I glued the window and doors in place and added some pillars at each side and some old Sue Cook pieces salvaged from an "odds & ends" drawer. The doors are from the previous shop I was making but didn't get round to completing. I had thought of painting the shop front area in the same blue/black as the doors but changed my mind when I realised it would be too fussy looking.


In this picture I have gone over everything in white paint (after starting to paint the shop from in dark blue) to even it out before painting in Od White.


Et Voila! Here's what I have so far. Sorry the pictures are so dark, it was quite late when I took them - I'm sure you'll agree that time has a way of flying by when you are engrossed in something.



And here's a closer look from near the flat front door. I am only using MDF I already have so the building can only be 12 inches deep, 17 inches wide and 24 inches high. Enough room for a reasonable sized shop, and stair case leading upstairs and a room above.


Oh, before I forget the shop will be an antiques shop called "Scott's". I wonder where that came from ;-)

Ok guys, thanks for putting up with the rambling. I'll post more tomorrow with more progress. I'm quite enjoying scratch building...

Simon

17 comments:

  1. Wonderful inspiration for all of us that have HEAPS of 'stuff' hidden away.....it looks fabulous! Lovely to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I have to say it is good fun making something for "free"...

      Delete
  2. I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!!
    I think that this project is going to MARVELOUS because it already does! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth, that's really nice of you.

      Delete
  3. The project looks great. I was "organizing" my work room the other day and found all kinds of pieces that I had been saving and things that I had forgotten that I even had! Keep up the good work - Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I challenge you to make something, Troy ;-)

      Delete
  4. Hi Simon! It is always such a treat to see a post from you! The glimpse into your treasure trove of "stuff" is fantastic! And the project you are making is just Gorgeous! So hard to believe you are just pulling it all together from the odds and ends in your trove!!! The facade looks so well coordinated as surely a famous Architect designed this row of shops some time ago!!! I can't wait to see what you will do with the interiors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betsy, you always have an encouraging word to say. I must say it is fun putting all the left-overs to good use.
      Enjoy your weekend
      Hugs

      Delete
  5. Bonjour Simon, je suis enchanté de vous voir commencer un nouveau projet, c'est toujours une joyeuse aventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, Jean-Claude.
      Have a great weekend

      Delete
  6. Hello Si,
    Again, what a treat to see a new post! I just love this shop front, you always seem to create such magic with everything you do :)
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey V !!
      Hope you are keeping well and the mini shop is a success?
      Hugs

      Delete
  7. Happy weekend Simon! Your shop facade looks amazing. You have much more interesting left-overs than I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon. To be honest, I didn't realise I had amassed so many bits and bobs! It's God to be putting them all to good use at last.

      Delete
  8. What a great idea Simon and I would just love to have a drawer of "surplus bits" as interesting as yours. The shop front is just brilliant - I love all the plasterwork. I would like to know though - is this an "as well as" and not an "instead of" your current project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene
      This is an "instead of" project. The last big white one went to a niece who fell in love with, but not before I salvaged the "goodies" from it (fireplace, pictures etc). So this is my current project, and it's an excuse to use up the left overs and unwanted stuff in the drawer.

      Delete
  9. Hi Si,
    What a great project! The building is lovely and I am happy you got to use those wonderful "leftovers" instead of having them in a drawer.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete