Wednesday, 7 September 2016

Antique Shop: DAY 5

Hi Everyone

Day 5 already and I have managed to get quite a bit done. As you can see in the picture below I have put the floor down and done the ceiling. The flooring was from Susan Bembridge and the same one I had in the old house. I laid out the floor as though a wall had been physically removed, a bit like another white town house I built a few years ago. I thought it broke the floor up a bit and looked more believable. I'm sure you do this already but a handy tip when doing this is to run a black or dark brown felt pen along the edges, this reduces any harsh white edges of the paper and makes it all blend into one seamless floor. I finished it off with a coat of satin finish Mod Podge to protect it and toughen it up a bit.



The cornice from Sue Cook is probably my favourite of hers and one I use a lot. I had to break my own rule again and buy another two pieces though once I realised how I was going to do it. The strip between the two ceiling areas was just made by using some wooden trim cut to look like Victorian panelling. I love this picture because it shows off how pretty the cornice looks and how different it appears depending on where you new it from. I also put in one of the door surrounds I removed form the previous house. I really liked them and thought the Prince of Wales feathers face them a bit of a history. I am just waiting for a couple of ceiling roses to arrive that I have used before, not from Sue Cook but really pretty and work well in this sort of set up. You'll see them soon I hope.



The curtains are now up (also pinched from the old house (I'm going to have to come up with an abbreviation for that at this rate!)) and help anchor this side of the room. Now I'll be able to put up the pictures and lights which will then allow me to finish the outside - window and balcony - at last! I have found two new pictures for either side of the window and am just waiting for the Mod Podge to dry and then I can frame them up and install them. The colours in them work really well with the room.



I put up the clock as I new where this was going but everything else is a bit up in the air. I've been re-thinking the arrangement of the room and now prefer the fireplace on the left hand wall rather than on the narrower back wall. This of course throws out my original picture hanging plans so I've had to re-consider them and possibly change some.

Also, my bargain lights have arrived for the front which I'm excited about, and the railings for the balcony which means I can do more on the front. So, it's all coming to gather nicely now after a messy start.

I'll post more when I have it...

Best wishes
Si

25 comments:

  1. Wow! Simon you are racing along with this build! It all looks absolutely gorgeous! I Love the trim and the paper you use.... it is so elegant, but warm and suited to a smaller space. I also like the technique with the "pretend" wall removed! It adds such architectural interest to the room. I can't wait to see the artwork you have planned to use! And the floor is such a beautiful warm color too! It is hard to believe it is paper!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Betsy
      I'm pleased you like it so far. I was relieved when the ceiling was done, I was so worried when I was doing it!
      Hugs

      Delete
  2. I love every piece you've used in this room so far.
    The floor is sooo beautiful! I'd think it is a 1:1 if I didn't know it is mini.
    Anxious to see more!
    Big hug and pls keep those pics coming!
    Gee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Gee, for your lovely comment as always.
      Hugs

      Delete
  3. Bonjour Simon,
    j'adore l'idée du mur abattu et votre travail sur le sol et les moulures du plafond.
    Et je suis toujours admiratif de la façon dont vous agencez vos rideaux, c'est parfait :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks as always, Jean-Claude. You're a star

      Delete
  4. Beautiful ceiling, I love the cartel clock on the wall.
    yosh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the wallpaper, it looks beautiful against the clock and gold detail on the cornice over the door. The ceiling cornices are gorgeous. I can’t believe the floor is paper, it looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Polly. Go check out Susan's website, she's amazing.

      Delete
  6. It's looking great Si. I love the removed wall idea and think it really reflects a desire for realism in your miniatures and the level of your skills as well. Looking forward to more progress as the weekend approaches! Happy Friday! Cheers, Shannon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shannon.
      You are too kind. Thank you.
      My holiday is fast running out so hopefully I'll have something more interestin to show next time - I'm getting worried I am repeating myself with this room lol
      -X-

      Delete
  7. Watching this room develop and observing the CLEVER way of visually dividing up the space while at the same time making it visually bigger is a MASTER STROKE! Your work is AMAZING and I mean -AMAZING! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elisabeth, that's very generous of you to say so.
      *blush!*
      I'd like to say I has a plan, but I'm making it up as I go! ;-)

      Delete
  8. Dear Simon, I adore this ceiling. To have a look in these rooms... it seems so real. But to make a ceiling like this in real dimensions, I think today nobody would be able to do this...
    So it seems, these floors were just wiped by the cleaning servant and would suit a king.
    For me, as I do live in a monochrome color-palette, this is like a trip to another world, full of color, I like it very much, so different from my world.
    Happy greeting from me :) Méa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mea, that's so nice of you. I love your style too, are you able to check your comment setting please as I have been following you for a while but am unable to leave comments. I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you.
      Hugs

      Delete
  9. Hi Si,
    It looks amazing. I love the remains of where there used to be a wall. It really is a great way to add a lot of character and architectural detail to the room. The curtains are perfect and it all looks very grand already. The cornice is gorgeous...is it Georgian cornice C2? I am so happy your back buddy. Keep it coming please ;)
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey buddy
      Yup, it C2 - I'm not that adventurous and tend to stick with the ones I like.
      Thanks for your lovely comment as always. I'm just working on the exterior and will post more when I have it.
      Take care
      Hugs
      Si

      Delete
  10. Hello, Simon - I missed your first posts because of a long, long Labor Day weekend, so I've had some catching up to do. That has not been easy because you seem to be moving at the speed of light on this project! But everything looks beautiful. The cornices and the floor are perfect settings for all the lovely things in between. I'm glad that you were able to transfer so many elements from "the old house."
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marjorie

      Belated Happy Labour Day!

      You haven't missed much ;-) In fact I fear I am in danger of re-hasking what I did before, to be honest.

      Best wishes
      Simon

      Delete
  11. Very impressed with the realistic floor Simon and the ceiling detail is lovely too. All such simple additions but so impressive (especially when we don't think of them ourselves!) I'll be making sure to stop by SB's stand at Miniatura, I feel a floor paper purchase coming on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene, yes go check them out, they are incredible!
      I'm pleased you like how it's coming along , I'm doing my best to make the rest of the build a bit more different...
      Have a great weekend.
      Si

      Delete
  12. Hello Si,
    This is such a lovely room. Like everyone else, I love the 'removed' wall. It looks so lifelike, which is such a compliment to your style and talent. It's such a treat to see your posts. Food for the soul!!
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete