Monday, 5 September 2016

Antique Shop: DAY 4

Here we go again...

I thought I would put this picture up first so that you have something to look at rather than MDF and general mess.

Here's the room with wallpaper up and a random selection of furniture to show the space and lay out (excuse the hand of doom and I'm not sure why this picture looks so washed out).


I also decided to fiddle around with the wall lights. There will be two on each side of the room and I didn't want them to stand out and be too obvious. So, after reading about a technique that the National Trust adopted at Waddesdon Manor I painted the main arm of the light to match the background colour and then wrapped the light shade in the wallpaper so that it almost "disappears".



To get the paper to stick to the brass I had to use super glue. And not just any super glue - Gorilla Glue! I thoroughly recommend this if you are planning to rob a bank in the near future. For unless you are particularly fond of your fingerprints I suggest you don't try this. As along with the wallpaper you will also stick part of your extremities to the lights in the process!! Still, its worth it...



I did some work on the outside by painting the base colour on the side of the of the building. I can't do much more until the wall lights are in place but then I can tape them down and put up the brick effect wallpaper. And then I can break out the grey, black and burnt umber and start making it all look old! Yippee!


Next up is the flooring...

Have a great day All

Simon 

13 comments:

  1. That is soooo funny about the Gorilla Glue Simon but I think losing some of your fingerprints was well worth it because the results of fading the picture light into the background is a resounding Success!!!
    The collection of paintings is a joy to behold since I lOVE artwork on the walls and you have selected an impressive display thus far and framed them Perfectly.

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha
    Thanks for your sympathy ;-)
    The pictures are part of the bounty I pinched from the old house before it went off. I like them enough to keep them so it saves the bother of hunting for new ones - famous last words!
    Si

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Simon

    Looks great and that wallpaper is magnificent!

    Best Regards:Lea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oiii, you are fast, Simon! Do you live like this too? Or just en miniature?
    You are working with such dedication, we are so similar there but the outcome SO different.
    I am curious, what will come next :))
    Have a wonderful time glueing and painting, arranging... ah, you will :))
    Méa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha
      Yes, my life does get a bit hectic sometimes!
      Thanks for your your wishes
      Si

      Delete
  5. Hi Si,
    I love the wallpaper and am really liking the direction the room is taking. Thanks for the tip about the gorilla glue. The wall lights covered in paper was a great idea...but I can only imagine how difficult that must have been to handle.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey buddy!
      Thanks as always, your opinion is always welcomed and appreciated. Can't type much - plasters on my fingers ;-)
      Hope you are both well.
      Hugs
      Si

      Delete
  6. Hello Si,
    I agree with everyone else, the light looks fantastic. I never would have thought of covering it with the wallpaper, but it really makes sense! You are truly a fountain of knowledge :)
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my dear, not quite that! Ha ha
      I remember reading about it and thought it might be good to try sometime. Let's wait and see what they're like once I've tackled the dreaded electrics!!
      Hugs
      Si

      Delete
  7. Very beautiful and elegant. I really like the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are doing a great job with all your “stuff”
    Love the wallpaper. Very funny about the Gorilla glue, I don’t think I will be using it, I got in a mess with super glue the other day, just about managed to prize two fingers apart, but got loads under some finger nails!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the window niches on the outside, they're a great idea and so true to life. Also, what an excellent ploy to cover the lighting fitments with paper - such a good idea but a shame that they were such a pain to realise. I'm really keen to see what's coming next.

    ReplyDelete