Saturday, 3 September 2016

Antique Shop: DAY 2

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your lovely comments on my last post. I am thoroughly enjoying this project, it's so worthwhile using up things that have been left in a drawer for so long - not to mention not spending any money! That said, I have a confession to make, I spent a couple of pounds on some railings that will run across the little balcony.

I spent today applying lots of layers to make it look old. This is a tricky thing to get right and I'm not sure I have succeeded to be honest. I must admit that it is a very depressing job to do and you can get stuck half way when things don't appear to be going as you want them. I want instant results and patience is not one of my strong points.

Here's where I got to after an hour. It was went against every fibre in my body to deliberately "mess it up" but it is starting to look how I want it.


Here is the shop window complete with shop name "Scotts". Still a lot of messing up required though...


After lunch and another two hours of decay this is where I am up to. I can't do much more until I complete the railings across the front as there will be sloping support walls that will need to be aged to match, so for now at least it is done.




Before I forget, I also cut and glued the shell of the building yesterday and it was dry today. This was cut from old bits and bobs so excuse the messy appearance. I made sure the inside walls were clean though and anything on the outside can be "hidden" in lots more lovely decay!


Have a great evening and I'll post more tomorrow...

Many thanks

Simon

18 comments:

  1. Wow! Amazing details...love how the aging is coming along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheilla. I'm not sure when enough will be enough! Lol

      Delete
  2. Hi Simon!
    I know that aging and messing things up can feel quite depressing especially when you are not used to it, but I have to tell you mister, that you appear to be an old hand at it by the Amazing looks of what you have already done!
    The carving looks just like stone and the shop is already ELEGANT and you're only just getting your feet wet!!! BRAVO for what you have already accomplished Simon, and what you have yet to achieve! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH, Elizabth. That is such a compliment from one such as yourself whom I hold in great regard. Especially your skills at aging that I have drooled over for years. I'm not sure I'll ever get over your Arthur Cottage kit bash. It's one of the best!
      Hugs

      Delete
  3. Love the detail on this building and your aging is looking great. So well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret. I really appreciate your lovely comments.

      Delete
  4. It is a painstaking process, but in the end it adds so much realism, depth and visual weight that it's worth the risk and effort. It looks marvelous! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, now that I have taken the plunge and started it's quite liberating!
      ;-)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing, it's this kind of project that keeps miniatures alive for me. I absolutely love what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Susan. How lovely of you. I have to say I am enjoying this one, who knows where it will go tomorrow...

      Delete
  6. Hello Simon

    That shop looks amazing! Very beautiful details and color. Looks like stone.

    Best Regards: Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lea. It's lovely to hear that. I afraid I'm still not quite happy with it - but are we ever??
      Have a great weekend
      Simon

      Delete
  7. I just love the decoration above your "Scotts" window - I've not seen anything that detailed before and it sits there beautifully. I also noticed the brickwork "pavement" and how you've altered the direction - genius idea. Getting a free building shell out of your stash is a great thing too - you'll be enjoying this more because it's free! We like free!

    BTW - I just wished I'd remembered your "cheap and cheerful" alteration of an ebay buy sofa (you added fringing) when I could have saved myself 10 days work! I'll pay more attention next time - promise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The window moulding is just a piece of furniture moulding from eBay, I had to break it in a couple of places to fit around the arch of the window but I liked how it came out.
      You did such a good job on your sofa, Irene, I wish I was as skilled as you - the grass is always greener, isn't it! ;-)

      Delete
  8. Well Si,
    My coffee has just gone cold while I was drooling over the pictures of shop front :)
    I absolutely love your style, really, it is so elegant and brings me back to a bygone age. Loving this project! Roll on Day 3 !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Si,
    I think the paint effect is beautiful. It looks very realistic...it really feels like a real weathered building and it really made the architectural detail stand out. Keep up the amazing work my friend.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete