Saturday, 9 April 2016

A Study in Libraries

Hi Everyone

I hope your week has been a good one.

I've been busy with work and am looking forward to a weekend of mini making. First up, the morning room…

Well, to be honest, the morning room is no more. I had originally planned to have the drawing room as a grander room for entertaining and a morning room for everyday use, but after a lot of thinking and figuring out I realised, rather like the theory of one of my favourite places to visit, Chatsworth House, that if I worked on each room being the best it can be I'd be able to have more variety in the rooms I made.

So, the morning room was ditched in a bid to make the drawing room a comfortable everyday room with a touch of faded grandeur and in place of a morning room I would have a library.

Here, again, I was getting carried away with myself and whilst I'd love a huge library there simply isn't the space in my house. I wanted endless walls of books, comfy armchairs in leather, rugs, even a wrap-around mezzanine level! But, alas, there is only so much you can do in a space 7" deep and 15" wide!!

And that is how the morning room turned into a library which in turn morphed into a study.

Here's a glimpse through from the drawing room.


I wanted to still have the impression of a library so I put in shelves in one half of the room, thus being visible from other rooms too so it almost appears to be bigger than it is. It also means you don't see the whole of the next room which adds some interest.

You'll have to forgive the half finished next picture but it shows you the layout I have gone for. It allows for a small area for shelves as I've already said and then it opens out into a small but light filled area.

The ceiling appears at an angle in this picture but it isn't in real life.


Clearly, there's a lot of work still to do but you get the idea. I need to get some more flooring but that can wait 'til I've done the rest of the walls. I'm not sure on the furniture in here, I might have delicate French furniture or an armchair. Who knows?! That will be a nice problem to have later on.

I've long admired the library at Althorp House and that at Woburn Abbey, both designed by a wonderful architect called Henry Holland. Both are in a beautiful shade of white - well, several shades of white! I thought I would use this idea in my study in an attempt to make a very small space lighter and appear a bit bigger.


There will be a blue blind at the window and I need to work on the books, I also have my eye on a globe to go in front of the window.

In all I'm really pleased with how this room is turning out. It's a long process but one I am enjoying. It's funny, if you are open to it, how much you can learn about something and yourself if you allow yourself time to think and re-evaluate. I always think through things to the point of going off them before I even begin. But it has surprised me how my first ideas for this house have changed so much after I was convinced of their merit initially. The end result is one that pleases me and drives me to be more creative and inventive. What more could you possibly want from a hobby?!

Thanks for sticking it out this long, I'll put up more when I have it. Enjoy your Saturday…

Best wishes
Si

35 comments:

  1. Hello Si
    How lovely to see another post. You are so right...it's amazing how many ideas we go through to get to the finished look! But I love to watch your creative thinking and your designs are always worth watching. I'm loving the shape of the rooms!
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vivian. I loved watching you build your house, you aren't planning to do another are you? I hope the shop is going well.
      Hugs
      Si

      Delete
    2. Well Si, I posted a few photos of the doors on my Manor, but I'm still debating what way to finish the outside....any advice is welcome!! I do have another house I'm planning to do, but it will be nothing as large as Fox Manor. Take care. V

      Delete
  2. Simon, your miniature interior looks like real. I admire how beautifully you have done all details, you have designed interesting architectural elements. With furniture and old paintings all looks very well! Great job!
    Hugs
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magda, that's so kind of you.

      Delete
  3. Bonjour Simon,
    Merci pour ces photos. Cela donne déjà une bonne idée de cette nouvelle pièce qui semble très prometteuse. Bon courage pour la réalisation des livres.
    A bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there. Thanks as always, the books are coming along nicely. I'll show some pictures when I have something worth sharing ;-)

      Delete
  4. Agreed, Si. One of the things I love most about miniatures is space planning. I work on a design again and again and again, until it clicks into place and I love it. Then I find I don't change a lot during construction. Colours/design etc tend to change a little though, when I can't find a piece I need.... But that's part of the fun too, really. Trying to get things to work! I love the little 'chain' of rooms, one leading to another. And small spaces are faster to finish, more of a challenge and sometimes just look better. This space will look amazing, I am sure of it! I love the idea of a big, worn leather armchair for this space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about small spaces being quick to finish, it means I won't agonise over it for too long - hopefully!
      I hope your shop is going well.
      Si

      Delete
  5. Hi Simon,
    I love how this house is "morphing" along! How did you make the cove ceiling over the books. I have always wanted to try doing that, but was never sure how to do it.
    Are your bulbs blooming yet?
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith. The cove ceiling was just a couple of pieces of cornice, a bit of patience and a lot of glue! ;-)
      The bulbs are coming along well, the tulips will be showing soon I hope.
      Hugs

      Delete
  6. I LOVE IT ALL!!! I am totally intrigued by the way you have done the coved ceiling on the left side with the window and I agree that a globe will be the PERFECT accessory for in front of it. I also like the coolness of the wallpaper color and the way that you have framed it with the painted moulding which plays so well against the rich warm brown of the floor. Of course you ALWAYS produce Beautiful and Elegant work Simon so none of this comes as a surprise to me. Your library / study is well on its way to becoming ( as expected ), TOP DRAWER! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol bless you! there is nothing special about the coved ceiling, just a lot of patience and superglue!
      I'm glad you like the wallpaper, it was a worry - it's surprising how much worrying you can do over something that's meant to be a hobby!

      Delete
  7. Dear Simon, What a nice post. You are so correct in that our ideas for our small spaces develop over time. I felt that the space developed its own direction. I just had to listen to its voice.
    I am very glad you are enjoying the process. I am certainly enjoying following you.
    Regards Janine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine, it's as fun as it is frustrating! Lol your eight about letting the space decide for you.
      Hugs

      Delete
  8. Bonjour Simon,
    j'adore ce petit couloir rempli d'étagères, avec la fenêtre, le plafond arrondi et le sol qui a une teinte magnifique.
    Je suis impatient de voir la suite, à très bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean-Claude
      Will you be starting a new project soon? I can't remember if your current house was finished?

      Delete
  9. That's a nice new room, full of bright ideas. I love the use of the molding for the curved ceiling. Good luck.....for the books !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dominique. The books are proving difficult but I'll get there...
      Take care

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful room the Drawing Room is and I love the little slice showing the curved ceiling and how you've put it together - a master at work! I'm also very taken with the little bookcase slotted in behind the pillar, that's a genius idea in getting the space to work for you. I can tell you're enjoying working with this property.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Irene.
      Thanks for your lovely comments, I'm pleased you approve of the bookcase. The ceiling was tricky to do but I'm no master, bless you.
      Hope you are keeping well.
      Si

      Delete
  11. Hi Simon! I LOVE it that you are so open to Changing your mind and making new plans! The new space looks so much more interesting and usable and Desirable!!! Don't we ALL want that Library with endless bookshelves and a big warm fire and sofa's you can get LOST in? Alas, we mostly have to make do with Fragments of that idea due to lack of Space! I Love the way you are using the views from different access points to suggest more... and pull us in to the Wonderful spaces you are creating!!! As usual, I look forward to seeing more!!! (That last picture with the view past the window into the Drawing room looks so Real!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy, you're an angel. Hope you are keeping well.

      Delete
  12. ✨✨ oh wow dear Simon ✨✨

    this is just incredible work ! I'm always amazed by your talent !
    How you take the pictures is fascinating too.

    Have a magic new week :)
    Pipi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pipi!! YOU are the talented one, I keep re-watching your videos on you tube of your French house. It's amazing!

      Delete
  13. The colours and attention to detail in your first picture are superb. The library is going to look fantastic and I think a globe will look perfect in front of the window. My house is a straight forward ready built one, I really do admire your imagination and work creating the whole thing yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Polly, I'll go and check out your house now...

      Delete
  14. Hello Simon
    I just waded through your blog and have to say, that you have done a amazing job! So many details and very precise work. Just love it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's so kind of you.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Thanks, Genevieve. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  16. Hello Simon, I see I am late to the party; dont know how I could have missed this post, but I love what you've done so far. I was in awe with the library you did in the other house, and this is very promising so looking forward to what's next...
    For starters, the wallpapers you have used are beautiful! They make just the right ambiance yet are not overwhelming, really gorgeous!
    Looking at the pictures I get the feelng you get when going to see a house that is on sale. Very well done, it must have been an ordeal to get the pictures with this focus but it is very realistic.
    On the tip of my chair to see more...
    with compliments and a big hug,
    Gee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gee, hope you are well?
      Thanks as always. I'm glad you like the wallpaper, I've really been working hard this time to get the colour and tone right.
      As for the pictures, I snap away on my iPhone! There's no skill there, I'm afraid! ;-)
      Speak soon
      Si

      Delete
  17. Ah, Si, my pleasure. I can hardly believe you made those pics that way but ok I'll believe you on your word. I can know it must have taken quite some time to get the colour and tone right but don't tell anyone lol. The fun thing in Blogger is that you see people improve and get better and better over time, like yourself, and that is quite a treat.
    have a beautiful weekend,
    Gee

    ReplyDelete