Saturday, 26 March 2016

Happy Easter

Happy Easter, Everyone!

I hope you are all enjoying the weekend.

I've been working on my mini house (name TBC) and have attached some pictures below. The drawing room is looking a lot fuller now I have ore pictures on the walls. Clearly there is still a long way to go in this room. I had a go at curtains and I'm pleased with how they have turned out. I can't tell you what a bother they were!  The ceiling is going to be embossed paper with no cornice other than the gold trim paper that you can see. The sofa was a cheap one from eBay and I added some fringing around the bottom. I like how the dark red tones with the wallpaper, I need to get a couple of armchairs to go opposite it.


This next picture shows the curtains a bit better. I managed to make the window appear higher than it actually was (despite my concerns in my last post). I like the roller blind just behind the curtains. I could not for the life of me get the fabric to drop and fold so opted to cut card and mount the fabric onto it to give the impression of hanging fabric. Not ideal but I like it. The pelmet was made from an old resin over-door I had in a drawer. There are more pictures to go on the wall but I find it really difficult deciding on the right picture!



This picture is from the left hand side window into the drawing room, the exterior will take a while to complete as I'm not sure of the colour yet. You can see how short the window really is by where the blind is.


The morning room is off to the right of the drawing room, accessed by the right hand side opening door to the house. This pictures shows the view of this side of the house. The entrance hall is on the ground floor. The morning room is not deep, only 7.5 inches and 15 inches wide. Enough space though for a cosy atmosphere for reading and games etc. A lot more relaxed and comfortable than the yellow room beyond. Its' window is just above the front door to the house. I've bought some pretty Susan Bembridge  wallpaper for this room. I'm dreading tackling another set of curtains...


As usual, I am working on one room and thinking about another! I'm planning to have dark red wall panels in the dining room (below the drawing room). I bought another amazing Susan Bembridge wallpaper for this room that I'll make in the same way I did a similar room years ago - an ancient pic below but the new red is a lot darker than this one.!!


My last picture was taken from the morning room looking through into the drawing room. I like this house because you can create vistas and interest just by opening a door, as apposed to the building being one room deep.



Well, have a wonderful Easter (I can't believe we're at the end of March already).
Best wishes
Si

34 comments:

  1. Hi Simon! I LOVE your sofa and the gold fringe on the bottom provides the Perfect finishing treatment for it! Also LOVE your curtains and what a great design trick to hang them around the window rather than to its actual interior dimensions; you have given them PRESENCE!
    I think that drapery is one of the most difficult things to miniaturize because the fabric is never heavy enough to allow gravity to do the real work, so it behooves the artisan to "weigh them down" instead. You have done this Beautifully and they look Fantastic both Inside as well as Out! :D
    Enjoy your Easter weekend!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth, that's really kind of you. Happy Easter...

      Delete
  2. Simon, no... Duke Simon I should call you, watching for a while now. You do magic, and magic has you under its spell. All those details, done with dedication, I love your spirit!
    As I have a very reduced color-palette, yours is so fantastically to see for me :)
    I hope you and the furry friend and your beloved have a wonderful eastertide, happy greetings from Méa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha
      Thanks, Mea. Have a great weekend
      Si

      Delete
  3. Looks great Si. I love the colours together. I think you are right to think about the other rooms at the same time; I think you'll get a more cohesive look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. Yes, I hadn't thought of that to be honest. Fingers crossed it will look cohesive ;-)

      Delete
  4. Bonjour Simon,
    j'aime aussi beaucoup les franges or de votre canapé.
    Je suis en admiration devant vos rideaux, particulièrement le mariage du store qui s'accorde si bien à l'ensemble.
    Bonne fêtes de Pâques, dans la douceur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean-Claude. Hope you are well.

      Delete
  5. Hello Si
    What a lovely update. Your curtains are beautiful and really do give the impression of the window being taller than it actually is. The colours in this room really look well together and gives a grand yet comfortable feel.
    Happy Easter, Si.
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vivian. Hope you are having a great weekend. Thanks for your lovely comments as always.
      Si x

      Delete
  6. The curtains are very beautiful and perfect for this room. I really like your sofa and the gold fringe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fabiola
      I'm glad you like it.
      Hugs

      Delete
  7. Hi Simon! I LOVE the way you are constructing this house with so many opening sides! I agree that the interesting view through the doors into another room is really enchanting! Your drapes turned out wonderfully considering the difficulty of the short window... nobody would ever think it was so short from indoors! The sofa with the fringe is just the right kind of contrast for the gold of the wallpaper... I love the color combination! Art for the walls is always a tricky subject.... Somebody on a blog.... can't remember who it was.... said it helps if you "know" who the people are who live in the house! Just like in RL! Lol! I look forward to seeing more of the Morning Room.... I've always wanted a Morning Room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy
      I heard that too. It really does help doesn't it. I'm also trying to keep away from pictures that are well known as it looks less real sometimes. I'm glad you like the view through the doors. It's something I always loved about your minis - the interest you create in a space by revealing some things and hiding others.
      Have a great weekend
      Si x

      Delete
  8. You're really motoring with this project and I love it! I think you've done a really good job with the curtains and what a great idea to use card for the draping - it looks very effective. It was also a good idea to add the trim to the sofa to make it look more grand, such a small addition to make a bigger impression. I'm loving your progress with this and am really looking forward to seeing more. I always enjoy looking at your photos and often go back to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene. I'm glad you approve, it means a lot. The curtains aren't perfect but they'll do for now. It's funny about the sofa, isn't it. I'm going to do the same with a pair of chintz armchairs - John Colefax stylie!
      Have a great weekend
      Si

      Delete
  9. Beautiful! I love the last photo.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Genevieve, that's very kind of you. I am trying to make it look as "real" as possible…
      Hugs
      Si

      Delete
  10. Bonjour Simon,
    Votre travail est superbe. Vous avez de l'or dans les doigts! Merci pour votre partage.
    Vincent

    ReplyDelete
  11. Splendid work! Thanks for sharing; it's lovely to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tessa. I really appreciate your comments.
      Si

      Delete
  12. Fantastic work Simon! I love these pictures, especially the last one - it seems so real.
    Thank you for sharing,
    hugs
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Simon,
    your rooms are such an inspiration and the colours are very elegant. I really like the yellow/gold wallpaper you have chosen, please tell me the name and maker of the paper because I particularly like yellow drawing rooms and would love to use this wallpaper. Best wishes
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arabella
      I've only ever found this wallpaper at one place - minimumworld.com
      Thanks for your lovely comment.
      Simon

      Delete
  14. Your drawing room is looking good Simon. Good idea with the sofa, the gold fringe completely transforms it. I love your red and jade room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Polly. That's really sweet of you

      Delete
  15. Glad I discovered your awesome site. Keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sonya. I signed up to follow your google account but couldn't see a blog. Is there one that I'm missing?
      Thanks
      Si

      Delete
  16. A very clever solution for the draperies Simon! As is the fringe on the sofa. This is going to be another gorgeous room. I love the colour of the wallpaper and the other colors you have chosen go so well with it. The floorboards look so real! That's not a print, is it? They have the effect I was trying to achieve in the dining room I have been working on, with the knots in the wood etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Josje
      Hope you are keeping well. I used flooring paper from Susan Bembridge. The "plain" floorboards stop the room from looking too much - that's the theory anyway!

      Delete