Monday, 16 November 2015

Mini update

Hi Everyone

My apologies for not posting in a while, work has been hectic (to say the least) but I have been doing lots of planing.

I have finalised my ideas for the layout of the build - It will all be based around an antique shop on the  ground floor. I have always struggled with minis in that no sooner have I completed one part of a project than I am planning the next! With a shop I am able to play around with and design shop windows etc, it also accommodates additions to my collection that may appear out of place in the actual living accommodation. I worked for many years at Ralph Lauren and as a result I have a full appreciation for the skill and craft that goes in to beautiful window design (not to mention the budget!!).

My inspiration has come from a wonderful street in Mayfair called Mount Street where I used to spend a lot of my time.

The basement will be the kitchen and dining area, shop on the ground floor, drawing room (that you have seen) on the first floor and bedroom and bath in the top floor attic.

Here is a picture of how the front of the shop is shaping up.


I have tried to paint the pillars (from Sue Cook) to look like terracotta and brickwork - A mainstay feature in the architecture of Mount St and other parts of Mayfair.




The wider section will hold the shop window whilst to the left is a recessed door to the shop and one to the apartment above. This was the only way I could get both a shop entrance and a doorway to the apartment in the width I had. From these pictures you might also start to get an idea of the layout of the building - with the facade of the property to the right of the room boxes. There will be a small pavement outside the front of the shop with more box hedging under the window. I'm still deciding whether to paint the planters in the same blue/black that will do on the shop window and signage above.

I'll post more when I have it but I'm only able to grab an hour here and there.

Have a great week

Simon

10 comments:

  1. Hi Simon! Your new Shop ideas look Fantastic!!! I love the decorative Terra cotta brick work and the ideas for the planters and hedges sound gorgeous! I love the black door against the brick color... and the gleaming brass is very posh looking! Fantastic ideas! I look forward to seeing more of this build!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am strapping myself down for the ride. I know this is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Simon,
    The front looks really nice and I like the terracotta effect a lot. I love seeing handcrafted dollhouses and am looking forward to more! I totally hear you about being very busy at work and having less time for miniatures...It must be this time of year! I hope you have a great week as well. :)
    Farrah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your ideas for this build Simon and good to see you back again. I also really like the pillars in that finish - in fact I think I prefer them like that as opposed to the white. It gives them a really good look and makes the detail stand out. Lots of lovely ideas and here's hoping you're not too busy at work so that you can get on with this and update us again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pillars are amazing. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Simon,
    I can effortless picture you in a Ralph Lauren environment.
    On your work: the terra cotta pillars look great and the entrances look really playful and yet chic this way. That was a great idea! Also like your doors, very sophisticated.
    I would like one of those for my RL home.
    That shop of yours is going to be a place to avoid for when you hop in it is going to cost a fortune (been there, done that :D)
    Sorry, the word ''shop'' always triggers my imagination lol.
    Hugs,
    Gee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Simon, I think your shopfront looks very promising, I love it already!! And it all sounds great! I know what you mean, even when not doing anything, you can still work things out in your head, things that need solutions or ideas. The black and the terracotta look very stylish. If I may speak out my humble opinion about it I would keep the planters light (white or white-ish or lightgrey) personally. Hope you don't mind.. and of course it's your shopfront and you are free to completely ignore :D. If you think blue/black as the doors: go for it!! It will look fab no matter what, because the ideas are! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Simon, this is looking good, it sounds exciting, I like the way you have done the doors and I love your choice of colours, they compliment each other very well. I agree with Fabulously Small about the planters :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Si,
    Terrific paint job on the pilasters! they look very convincing! The façade is beautiful and I know it will be a very elegant building. I like the doors together. It creates a welcoming nook. I can't wait to see more.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas Simon. Amazing miniature work as always. Hope you have a great festive break. D&P.

    ReplyDelete