Tuesday, 8 July 2014

Inside/Out!

Hi Guys

Whilst pottering on the outside of the house I have been doing some bits and pieces on the interior. As I mentioned before the ground floor will be kitchen and dining area (with a kind of open plan feel), the first floor, after a lot of thinking, will be one single drawing room, with a small bedroom and study on the top floor.

These pictures give you an idea of how I broke up the ground floor with a dividing wall at an angle. This allows me a valuable wall to put the range against and cabinets where the window would have been. On the other side of the wall near the front door will be a small staircase, Rather a hint of a staircase that leads no-where! But I managed to fit it in as I wanted there to be some semblance of planning about the layout. I say that but there is no door into the drawing room upstairs. My thinking is that the you would enter as you view the room (i.e. the house extends further out the back than is physically there) and it would take up too much of my wall space - as I keep saying, this is a really small house compared to some so every square inch counts. So I opted for imagination over doorways!

Ground floor with kitchen on the right, dining on the left, and four finger top left!

First floor drawing room with brilliant Sue Cook Fireplace.
Ok, so I broke my own rules and bought a new fireplace from Sue Cook - it's amazing and one of two new French designs she has launched. It seemed criminal not to include it in my first French house. I tried a million ways of breaking the floor space up in this room but besides variations on the idea for the kitchen wall all the options left me with tiny rooms that could barely hold a chair, let alone a Sue Cook fireplace!! So I opted for a "bigger" room and I think the curved walls will work well.

I had 3 sheets of real wood strip flooring in my mini box and whilst I didn't want to waste them I was finding them difficult to incorporate - regular floorboards just seamed a bit too pedestrian for an old French houses. Then I struck upon the idea of cutting them into strips at 45 degree angle and lay them in a sort of parquet style. Purists - look away now…




I am pretty happy with the result, especially as I managed to find a use for the flooring and it looks relatively "french". A rug will cover the centre of the floor and a lot of furniture will help hide it.


 Once they were varnished up they looked fairly respectable. I think !?

If it helps, just think old and in need of repair!!!
I have loads of this flooring left so will use it in the other rooms in some format, possibly with a white-wash.

Finally, I had been working on the cornice for the drawing room and when I finished it really caught the light and looked pretty! So I thought I'd give you a sneak peek on the decor for this room.


Ok, I think I have taken up enough of your time. Hope you enjoyed this update and can keep up with my crazy hair-brained schemes and ideas. Enjoy the rest of the week.

Hugs to All...
Si

22 comments:

  1. Hi Si,
    It just keeps on getting better! I love the spaces you have planned out and I agree that the Sue Cook fireplace will look magnificent and very grand in between the curved walls...proof that rules are meant to be broken. The cornice looks gorgeous and I can't wait to see more!
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks Giac! I'm pleased you approve (and can keep up with me lol).
    I just mailed you by the way.
    Thanks again
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Si,
    This just keeps getting better and better....where to start. I love the angled wall on the ground floor, I love the curves visible in the drawing room, the ingenuity of the parquet floor, and the teaser of the cornice... I am breathless in every respect :) And you could never take up too much of anyone's time.... everything you do is just turning out to be wonderful. This is simply delightful.
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness me, thank you Vivian, you are too kind!! I'm so pleased you like it so far. Like I said it is all a bit a mish mash but it kind of makes sense in my head lol
      I'll keep you posted with how I get on but you'll probably need some pain killers!!
      Si x

      Delete
  4. Hello Simon!
    Love it all!
    The Sue Cook fireplace is wonderful, might have to have one of those myself.......
    Your cornice beautifully done!
    I like very much the arrangement of the ground floor. This is another success in the making!
    Show us more.......
    Hug from Ray

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the floor looks great Simon. The fireplace was meant to be in that spot. It is perfect for it. LOVE the finish on the cornice. I look forward to the next post.

    Having trouble seeing the screen about 4 hours of petit point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the floor! I never thought of using the strip flooring that way. Great idea, Simon! I can't wait to see what comes next!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOOHHH what a Gorgeous cornice!!! and the Sue Cook fireplace looks just Perfect!!! The flooring is beautiful too, and I think you have been brilliant with making good use of the small spaces! I completely agree that sometimes you have to "pretend" that it is all there! I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a matter of fact I did/do, enjoy the update that is :)
    Clever thinking, all the way.
    I did not expect the inside to look like this but I do like it a lot, it is refreshing and playful.
    The inside looks a bit like the rl house I made the plans for years ago but never got to build. Winning the lottery a first requirement LOL.
    Modern and classic, or a mix, anything goes with this.
    Clever thinking! did I mention that already? :)
    Hugs,
    Gee

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really, really love the curved walls, especially in the Drawing Room. You're tackling of the stair is perfect, by just giving a suggestion of it. (I think stairs are a waste of space, even in a large dollhouse). Your floor is gorgeous, Si --no reason to poo-poo it! It's great that you were able to use the flooring you had on hand. It's been ages since I've been to Sue Cooks site, but that spectacular fireplace is a good reason to go back. Finally, I just wanted to say how cool it is to see you working so furiously --it's like you got your mojo back!
    Keep up the great work XOXO John

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you use the space. It gives the room character with the curves etc. What really caught my eye was the cornice. So pretty with the gold!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ciao Simona sara' una roombox meravigliosa sei bravissima! Kiss

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree about the doorways, doors do take up a lot of space in a small room. Love the flooring, really looks used and works a dream. Fireplace is going to look great too. Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Si! I love the curved walls along the Sue Cook fireplace, what a grand effect it is :)! The floor looks good, I can imagine you think of white wash....that would be so French ;)! And what to say about the cornice, they look so beautiful!
    Well, everything you do is just turning out to be wonderful.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was really looking forward to seeing the inside and how you would incorporate a curved wall into the theme of the room. The firplace set in the middle of the curves looks gorgeous. A real centrepiece! That is a great way to cut parquet too...thank you for sharing. Last but not least, I adore what you have achieved with the cornice. How beautiful =0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Le parquet est superbe! Je suis impatient de voir la chambre car les corniches sont très belles;

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant idea, cutting the flooring on an angle to mimic parquet. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the structure of this room. The floor is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Genius! I love the idea you had for the floor, it looks very good, and doesn't need hours of gluing tiny strips of wood together to do either! The interior space is interesting, like something an architect might do to create an unusual living space within an old building! The fire place is lovely, just the right sort of thing too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Simon, though unusual I find the flooring quite beautiful! The gilded crown moulding almost seems to have a verde green undertone. I look forward to
    Seeing your French house progress.
    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Sweets, ... late? ;p Jeez cleaning out the attic toook a bit longer then I thought. Anyways, the Sue Cook fireplace... luv it! I was eying the same piece. No still haven't orderd something from Sue... she has so much fantasitic pieces. Perhapse i am going for something for the outside of Marram House. The floor looks great, your working like a maniac on this new French house. The tall windows make the rooms look bigger then they are... such a smart choice. Okay that's me for now, talk to you later Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Simon,

    How wonderful the parquet floor is and what a lot of work. I have been enjoying looking back at the French maison and the work you are putting into the magnificent place.
    Hope you are having a great weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete