Wednesday, 23 July 2014

Book of the Week No 4: John Fowler. Prince of Decorators


Hi Guys

That time of the week, again, and this time I have chosen the very wonderful (and I'm not a bit biased!) John Fowler. As the title of the books heralds, Mr Fowler is one of the UK's best loved interior decorators. Almost a legend in his own right. 

STATS

Pages 287
Width 24cm
Height 30cm
Tea Test - 8.5/10
First published in 2007 by Frances Lincoln Ltd

Please note another new addition to the facts list - a publication date, courtesy of Casey - by the way, Casey, the Mark Hampton book from last week was published in 2009 by Rizzoli. Thanks x

Well, I simply adore this book!
It is crammed full of wonderful interiors created by John and his very brilliant partner in crime Sibyl Colefax, not to mention the incorporable Nancy Lancaster. As in most books of this sort it chronicles John's career and the extraordinary path his life took. Along with the very grand spaces are more humble interiors, and even a section on his beloved Hunting Lodge. There is chintz in abundance, but not too much, and painted furniture galore. I bought this book cheap off eBay ages ago so I'm not too sure on it's current retail value but I found a copy on eBay just now for £4.99 !! A steal!!

I would rush out and grab one of these if you have any interest in the "classic British" look, or indeed just fascinated by mixing colours and textures in one room.

Thanks as always for your time and comments, they are lovely to read.
Until next time…
Take care All.
Si

17 comments:

  1. Hi Si
    I think I might look out for this one, it sounds great. I'm sorry, the tea test still puts a smile on my face :) You have some wonderful reading material...
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vivian
      Hope you are well and staying cool? We should start another stat to determine how easy it is to read the book, drink a cup of tea and eat a cake! Endless!!
      Take care x

      Delete
    2. Ooooo cake, I'm with you there!!! lol
      Vivian

      Delete
  2. Great looking book. I got a few ideas just looking at the cover! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I'd say that makes it pretty successful then ;-)
      Hugs

      Delete
  3. Hi si,
    thanks again for the book suggestion. I'll be google- ing John.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great weekend, Guys
      hugs

      Delete
  4. And another great book, Si :D! Looking at the cover of this book it seems that John is furnishing his interiors with a mix of modern and old, or am I wrong?
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ilona, sorry for the late reply, I've been unwell this week. John's style was very relaxed and informal - the sort of room you'd expect to find in an old country house that had been added to over the years. This book really is a good buy…
      Have a lovely weekend
      Si

      Delete
  5. Sounds like something I should be looking up too! Thanks again for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Simon! This book sounds really lovely! I do like his style a lot... and the fabrics! And the painted furniture! Gosh, I might have to go get this one! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy, you could do a lot works than pick up a cheap copy of this book. It's really good x

      Delete
    2. Jeese! I can't spell sorry, I meant you could do a lot WORSE!
      x

      Delete
  7. Hello Si!
    Ilona's is wondering the same thing as I am: are Johns'interiors modern or a mix or a certain period style?
    hugs,
    Gee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gee. John's style was mostly classic country but he often threw in a modern twist. It was all very relaxed and informal - very comfortable x

      Delete
  8. Hi Si
    Bought this book off ebay....after reading your riveting review, and it really is a lovely read with gorgeous pictures (we all love pictures!). It was a bargain, under £5...sure you couldn't beat that with a big stick!
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete