Wednesday, 16 July 2014

Book of the Week No3: Mark Hampton An American Decorator

Another shocking quality image!

Hi Guys
This week I have chosen another American interior designer I love, Mark Hampton.
This book covers the history behind his career and the journey his "style" has taken over the years. I can't remember the cost of this book but it is well worth the money and I would highly recommend it to all.

STATS
255 pages
Width 24 cm
Height 31 cm
Tea Test - 7/10

This week I'm going out on a limb and introducing a new "stat" called the Tea Test. This, as you might have guessed, is a score out of 10 at how easy the book in question is to read whilst having a cup of tea - or cocktail, John of Merriman Park  ;-) - though I cannot legislate for decorative paraphernalia - olives; umbrellas and the likes!

Back to the book. Several different types of project are covered by plenty of wonderful photographs. Each different to the last - there is a lot of inspiration in these pages! I love Mr Hampton's approach to interior design because it is both smart/formal and relaxed/casual. There are elements of all these in his rooms so that pricey artwork and antiques aside you would feel at ease in any situation. I think I am particularly drawn to them at the moment because I am trying to build an old French house but with a modern twist. Like those of Timothy Corrigan, Mark's interiors are liveable spaces and not museum pieces.

On a side line may I take this opportunity to say, "Fight the good fight, Ray!". As fully paid-up members of this wonderful Miniature Community we are all routing for you.

Thanks again guys for all your lovely comments, it's very kind of you to take the time. I try to reply to them but sometimes RL has a terrible habit of getting in the way and the moment has passed. But rest assured I love reading them and they are very much appreciated.

Enjoy the rest of the week.
Si

13 comments:

  1. Hi Si
    I am still smiling over the 'tea test', I think that is just a wonderful addition to the stats on a book....you are some character :) I just love your sense of humour. You know, your blog is a joy to read!
    Back to earth....that book looks to be a great source of inspiration...and that's what books are all about.
    Keep the reviews coming, I can't believe its a week from the last one!
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, glad you approve Vivian. This is a really great book though, I'd highly recommend it. Hope your week is going well?
      Hugs

      Delete
  2. I think a Long Island Iced Tea would be an apropos cocktail to enjoy with Mr Hampton's tome.

    1 part vodka
    1 part tequila
    1 part rum
    1 part gin
    1 part triple sec
    1 1/2 parts sweet and sour mix
    1 splash Coca-Cola

    Mix ingredients together over ice in a glass. Pour into a shaker and give one brisk shake. Pour back into the glass and make sure there is a touch of fizz at the top. Garnish with lemon. Enjoy while reading Mark Hampton: An American Decorator

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're like the Tom Cruise of the miniature world, my dear! I'll fix me one of them there cocktails tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know, boys, you make my day....:)
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  5. What ever do you mean? I have a much finer nose than Tom Cruise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do my dear, there's none finer!

      Delete
  6. Simon, I like your book reviews. Could you please add the publishing date? It would give us some idea as out how hard it's going to be to find. I

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about the unfinished comment. I pad problems! I just wanted to add that I love some of Mark Hampton's work. Thanks for mentioning the book. I am going to have to find that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Si,
    Thanks again for the great book review. I'll keep an eye out for this one. Make mine a double Vodka Martini and we're in business!
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Si,
    Okay, added to the list, Thanks for the review!
    Hugs,
    Gee

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy perusing books of this sort while partaking of a tasty candy bar. Graciously appreciated Simon

    The Grandmommy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Si! Love your sense of humour.........from you both, John and you ;o!
    That book looks to be a great source of inspiration, thanks for the review!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete