Sunday, 29 June 2014

Progress this week

Hi guys

Hope you have all had a great week.
I've been working on my French style house most nights and it's come a long way since you saw it last. I completed the ground and first floor walls and windows, and built them up around the curved corners I put in that go either side of the front door.  Luckily the reverse fitting part from the windows and door came into great use creating more window frames (as mentioned in my last post) and adding a more unified detail. You get an idea of how its going from the pictures below.

I made a fret work pattern cut from thin card and glued it to the upper part of the curved wall (anyone know what the technical term is for my curved wall?). Though the curved wall was pleasing enough I felt it was a little too plain and the trellis work makes a good addition I think.

The black railings are just there to give me an idea for now.

I wanted to put red brick panels on the first floor to brake up the expanse of "wall". I saw it at Versailles and other French houses and loved the look. It also allowed me to fill an empty space where I had no more windows left to use! The oval detail on the front with the bust probably won't stay but I was playing around after spotting a similar idea that French architects did (Versailles again). I might put a small bracket there or something. Who knows!






I have yet to put the first floor ceiling in as I'm still unsure how to tackle the roof. I want a typical French mansard roof with two degrees of incline. I'm just not sure how high to make it or how to handle the curved front walls. I've been think of creating an aged green copper dome at the front section of the roof with a dormer window, and slate roof behind. We'll see how brave I feel! I love this "skimming stone" grey but it doesn't have enough character for me so I'm going to attempt a sandstone paint effect with plenty of weathering and ageing. I think I'd like my house to look like it had been abandoned for 20 or so years but then saved by someone who had plenty of money but wanted to reinstate some dignity to the place - not too dissimilar to my own pipe-dreams!!

Thanks to everyone for their lovely comments last week and for my lovely new Followers, I really appreciate every one of you. Incidentally, you may recently have seen my face re-appear in your Follower list. This is because I had some bother with Blogger (which seams to be common at the moment!) where I lost my following list and a lot of my older posts. The posts I can get back but I simply haven't had the whit to bother with it - I think I have to apply to have them re-instated! Ridiculous but a job worth doing, when I have a spare evening and bottle of Sauvignon Blanc! In the mean time I am finding you all again and re-following. It's taking a while so please bear with me.

Ok, I'm off to crack on with the sandstone effect… Cripes!!

Oh, one last thing, I was thinking about doing a weekly post along the lines of "Book of the week" where I'll share a favourite book or current read that I am loving. They'll all be reference books about architecture and design but you might find at least one that looks of interest to you. I often find it difficult buying new books. Being reference books they are usually very large with a price tag to match! Therefore buying them online can often be a risky business proving, sometimes, disastrous! This way I thought we all might be able to share our experiences and list books we have that are well worth the money and worth giving a try. Don't get me wrong, I'm no critic or expert, it will just be a few lines on something that certainly I at least have enjoyed.

Have a great weekend guys, what's left of it.
Hugs
Si

40 comments:

  1. Hi B, Okay, I am taking back my comment in the previous post. This option (with the cirved wall) is way way way BETTER! Love it, it looks so grand! Your book idea is a great idea and it will save people a lot of money because some books aren't worth the paper that they are printed on. Talk to you later! Hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oi
      I'm glad you like it, it's kind of making itself up as I go along to be honest! What way that really cool book on French architecture you bought at that flee market last year? It was really big and I'm pretty sure it was about French stuff??
      Hug

      Delete
    2. This one? http://southhamptongrey.blogspot.nl/2013/10/finding-your-balance.html

      Delete
  2. Hi Simon! I think your French House is looking Divine!!! I would not have thought to mix the brick with the stone.... but it has been a Very long time since I was at Versailles! I think it looks beautiful and adds a warmth that you don't get with just the stone! Architecture is so fascinating... I really look forward to seeing your solution for the roof! And the idea about book reviews is a good one... I am always worried to buy a large book without a look inside the cover first! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Betsy, thanks for your lovely comment as always.
      I'm really not sure about the roof to the pint where I can't do much more on the outside till I make up my mind! Lol glad you like the book idea, let me know if you have any great books I could mention.
      Big hugs x

      Delete
  3. Ca promet d'être une superbe demeure! vous faites un travail remarquable!
    isabelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Isabelle, your very kind
      Hugs

      Delete
  4. Hi Simon! Your progress on the French house is wonderful so far: I love the new additions and the mix of the bare bricks and the stone, it is a nice mix in materials! Regarding the roof: I really hope you will choose for a mansard roof, it is not only French, but it will give your house even more grandeur. I think that you also will get extra rooms for decorating ;)!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ilona
      You read my mind!! I thought about the valuable extra rooms I could get out of the roof area, I just need to work out how I'll do it. I am really taken with the idea of a copper dome but it might look a bit un-French. Still, it's an excuse for more research x

      Delete
  5. Hi Simon, I love the curved walls and the fact you are mixing the exterior textures with the brick and stone. It is a going to be beautiful!!! I am really enjoying watching your progress. It is really charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine, that means a lot. I hope I can make what I have in my head!!
      Hugs

      Delete
  6. Looking very beautiful and lots of character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Simon, What a wonderful combination of shapes and patterns. I look forward to seeing the progress with the interiors.
    Philip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Philip. It's the planning part I like best.

      Delete
  8. Your French house is FANTASTIC!!! I love the facade and the windows that you have decided on. I like the fact that the windows wrap around to the sides too. More light within the rooms is always a bonus. The mix of exterior textures makes this an extraordinarily beautiful little property! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, I like the extra windows too, though it's a challenge working out where to put pictures!! Lol

      Delete
  9. BRAVO!! j'adore les murs arrondis de l'entrée. Vivement la suite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simon, this is remarkable progress - and, again, beautiful. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the interior.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's extraordinary Simon, the curves, lattice and brick work are inspired, you're creating something really unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norma, it's lovely to get such great feedback x

      Delete
  12. Hi Si
    I am in love, love, love with this house. It is so elegant and has a truly beautiful shape to it. Love the book idea as well. Keep the fab pictures coming.
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, thanks Vivian, that's lovely. I'm really enjoying this house, if not a little worried about the interior!!
      X

      Delete
  13. Hi Si,
    The building is coming along amazingly! I love the architectural detail you added and I really like the Versaille inspired brick. It will be a magnificent building. I look forward to seeing more and to reading your book reviews,.
    big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey buddy
      Glad you like it so far, thanks. I'm hoping the book thing encourages us all to share sources etc - that's if I get the first post done!!
      Hope you and Joe are well
      X

      Delete
  14. Hi Simon
    I like how this one is turning out, I'll be watching to see how you finish it up

    Hugs
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow I can't believe this is made from scratch it looks amazing already! Its a beautiful design it really is and it will be stunning when its done!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Paula, thanks for the lovely commet, it also means I have managed to re-follow you at last.
      Hope you are well.

      Delete
  16. Helo Simon,
    Glad to have you back in my followers list! :D
    I can just say: get the hell away from your comfort zone, because it becomes you and your work. It is looking better every time I take a peek, and those black railing looks tres chic.
    I've had a list of the books I own (not many) on my blog but removed it because what I consider my best reference books are written in Dutch, and Dutch is like Swedish er Chinese to most people, so I did n't think it would help anyone who speaks another language.
    Having said that, as English is a language spoken and read all over the world, I think it is a jolly good idea that you make such a list :D
    Love the house!
    Hugs,
    Gee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gee x
      You should put your list up again - if I can't read it, I'm happy to look at the pictures! ;-)
      I'm glad you like what I've done so far, even if I'm not sure what I'm doing!!
      Hope you are ok? I've been thinking of you recently.
      Hugs

      Delete
    2. yes I guess I am relatively ok, thanks for asking :)
      X
      Gee

      Delete
  17. Hi Si,

    GAWD, your French house is already INCROYABLE! I'm scratching my head at how the roof would go too, but no doubt you will come up with the perfect answer. I am totally with you on the book review thing...we should all do that!

    XOXO,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thanks John. I may be asking for advise on the roof!! I'm still trying to get the sandstone finish done! Le Nightmare, as they say on the continent!!
      Xx

      Delete
  18. Hi Simon,

    Your French maison is looking tres magnifique - and I am sure you would have got a lot of inspiration from Versailles. Isn't that such a gorgeous place with all the attention to detail. Many thanks for visiting me.
    Enjoy the week
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn, thanks for your lovely comment, and for visiting me, back.
      I'm quite a dreamer and can spend hours day-dreaming about all the things I could do with this mini house - whether it's successful or not is another matter!l lol
      Best wishes

      Delete
  19. Hi Simon, the French House looks wonderful, I like all the fine architectural details, the red brick looks good too, really great job! The copper dome sounds good, maybe with an oval or round window?

    ReplyDelete